Could it possibly be that I am posting twice in one month !
I have finally made it out of the rabbit hole that is collapse weave, and I am finding that the fresh air and sunshine are awesome ;0)
When I last left you, I had a “sample” scarf on the loom, which had a warp of 74/2 natural coloured merino, with a central section of Z and S blue wool. I used the S blue wool as the weft, and managed to get it off the loom.
Using my previous collapse samples as my guide, I expected this scarf to collapse significantly along the length of the warp, with little weft ways collapse. HA !!! Collapse has once again caused much consternation, there was very little collapse along the warp, but quite a bit across the weft.
Once it was off the loom, I had fringed the ends. Now, I knew at this stage, that the S and Z yarn would shrink differently to the 74/2 merino, but I wanted to see how radical the differences were.
The fringing, after wet finishing, was …… interesting ….
Before wet finishing. You can see clearly the 2/2 twill and tabby stripes which run down the length of the warp. The central section is an inch of Z yarn, and inch of S yarn and another inch of Z yarn.
After wet finishing
Just a little bit funky ;0)
I had full intentions of undoing the fringe and hand hemming this scarf, however a friend stopped by to have a look. After I showed her the fringe and started laughing, Dianna looked at it and said that she liked the effect.
Done and dusted !!! This scarf now has a new home ….. anything to stop me from having to hand hem a collapse weave scarf after it has been wet finished.
Dianna was leaving for Tasmania the next day, so the scarf was a bon voyage present, but I sincerely hope that she doesn’t show a “real”weaver the fringing disaster. This is a secret best kept between friends :0)
So, because this scarf did not collapse warp ways as I was expecting, I came to the conclusion that it was because the Z and S stripes were in the centre of the scarf, and there was too much 74/2 merino on the sides, thereby restricting (or, restraining) the amount of collapse which could have been achieved.
Problem solved – I would add an additional stripe, and rather than putting them all in the centre, I would space them out.
Another warp on the loom, same threads being used, except for a change in colour. Same 2/2 twill and tabby stripes, S yarn being used for the weft, and a ppi of 20 – 22.
This final scarf measured 12.5 inches wide x 2.90m in length. The length is longer than I would normally weave a scarf, most of my scarves/shawls/wraps are 2.2 – 2.5 m in length. I was expecting a 30 – 35 percent collapse along the length of this scarf.
Before wet finishing
Can you see the flaw in my brilliant plan? You got it, this did NOT collapse the 30 – 35 percent that I was expecting. In fact, I only managed to get a 14 percent reduction in the length …… sigh
The only saving grace is that this scarf is SO light and airy, that the additional length means that it can be worn in a variety of ways without feeling too constricting, or, like a neck brace !
That, my friends, was my foray into collapse weave, and I am currently tossing up what to put on the loom next.
I had thought of doing another textured alpaca shawl, which would be a breeze to weave after using these very fine Z and S threads, but I think colour might be refreshing.
So I shall leave you with the words “Morse Code” ;0)
Till next time, weave with a happy heart